Monday, July 9, 2007

NEARLY A VICTIM...

Last Friday an Indian lady claiming to be from Ambank called me. She spoke too fast, I can't get what her name was. I didnt asked her back, as it wasn't seem important at that time.

She then asking me whether I have credit card from Ambank. Again, it didnt trigger anything yet because to me it was normal question by bank people. She explained that she need to make confirmation to activate my insurance and discount card and in order for that she has to know my credit card no.Without thinking, I gave her my credit card no.

Then, this is the part that make me started to feel suspiscious.She asked me to turn to the back of my credit card and asked me the last 3 digit of the number there. WOOAH! That was it! Masa ni, my waras part start to awake. I never apply any discount card or insurance and as far as I know there's no such promo when I sign up for this card. Sah, this lady is a fraud!

Then, I remembered one email I received about how credit card fraud syndicate works. They will menyamar as bank officer or ape2 jelah in a very convincing and subtle way until the victim didn't realise to whom they were disclosing the P&C details to.

So, I asked her name again, she refuse to tell me and stressed that she's from Ambank. She said whatever details she need from me is a standard bank procedures & in order for them to activate my insurance & discount card she need to get my card details. Furious, i told her that if she really from Ambank, the bank should have my details. And as far as i know, normally the bank will asked the cardholder's mothers maiden name or other payment/accounts related questions but never on the cardholder's verification code.

And guess what, she hung up the phone. By this time I know I nearly become a victim of a credit card fraud syndicate. Thank god for the forwarded emails I received on this.

I straight away called Ambank, gave them the number which the lady called me. Ambank confirmed that the number is not their number and they don't have that kind of offer or promotion. I tried to call the number which the lady used to call me, but cannot get through as the line is busy.

So guys, be careful with the phone call you receive from people claiming to be from bank or whoever trying to get confidential details of your credit cards.

After this, if you receive a call from 03 2021 7323, please be aware. You might save yourself from being a victim of this syndicate.